If you have a small or medium-sized business, you should take the time to create a basic presence on LinkedIn. 36.5 million people visit LinkedIn every month, and LinkedIn results appear in Search, one more opportunity for your business to get seen.
To build your LinkedIn presence, take the following steps:
- Create your company page
- Optimize each employee’s personal profile to promote the company
- Have each employee “link” to the corporate page
Create Your LinkedIn Business Page
To create your page, log into LinkedIn. Then, in the menu bar, under Search, enter your company name and select Company from the dropdown. Click the Search icon to search for your company.
Hopefully, your company page isn’t already taken. If it is, you’ve got a problem and you’ll need to contact LinkedIn if you should rightfully own that name. Or use a variation for your company name, “Inc” versus “Corp” and so on. When you have a unique name, click the Add a Company link to create your corporate page.
On the Add a Company page, enter the company name and an email associated with it. Check the box to verify you are a representative of the company. You’ll be sent an email and will need to open it and click the link to verify the account. Then, you can enter information about your company. To create your profile, you’ll need:
- A list of company specialties (keywords for which you want to be found)
- The blog or feed URL for the company
- The corporate website’s URL
- The Twitter handle for the company or the employee whose tweets you want to appear (if you’re on Twitter)
- Basic information about the company: number of employees, address, founding year, etc.
- A logo graphic to upload
When you receive your email, click the link to go to your page. Enter the information you’ve gathered and upload your logo.
Important: Be sure to set Company Page Admins to Designated users only, and enter specific people as admins. This will turn on company status updates, allowing your company to post status updates that followers see on their LinkedIn home page.
Adding Products & Services
You can create separate pages for each of your products or services, describing them. For each product or service, you’ll need:
- A paragraph description of each product/service
- An image for each one
- A bulleted list of features or differentiators
- A URL to link to for each particular product or service
- If you have a promotional (such as a discount or free service), you’ll need a description and a URL for it
- If you have a YouTube video for this product/service, grab the URL for it
- Any disclaimer for this product/service
To create a product or service page, go to your company page and follow these steps:
- In the tabs, select Products & Services.
- Click the Add a product & service button.
- Use the wizard-like form to add your product or service.
- On the right, add the URL of the landing page for this product/service.
- Add contact information—who in your company to contact about it.
- Add any special promotions, and any videos.
Optimize Employee Profiles
As well as creating the company page, you should make sure that key employees (or all employees, if your company is small), have optimized their individual pages to highlight your company. Make sure as many as employees as possible have updated their LinkedIn pages to show that they are currently working for your company. They should describe their role in the company as appropriate.
For a small business, or for executives and owners, you need to make the LinkedIn page “sell” your company and its services. See this post for specific instructions on creating a LinkedIn profile that sells your small business.
Link Employee Profile to your Company page
Lastly, you’ll want to ask all employees on LinkedIn to make sure their individual profiles link to the Company LinkedIn page. To do that, ask each employee to follow this procedure:
- Log into LinkedIn and select Profile in the menu bar.
- Click the Edit My Profile tab.
- Under Current, in your profile, please click the Edit link.
- Under Company, click Change Company.
- In the text box, enter the company name. You’ll see your company, with the logo. Select it.
- Then, just click Update.
Now, if you click the View tab under Profile, you should see a little page icon next to the company. Clicking it will go to the company page!
Use your LinkedIn Page
Customers can recommend your products/services. Take this opportunity to tell your valuable customers that you have a LinkedIn company page, and would love a recommendation. Send them the link to the page, and use the opportunity to remind them to pass your name on to others that might benefit from your products or services.